NCERT Solutions for class 8 Social Science Geography Chapter 3 Mineral and Power Resources
Question 1. Answer the following questions.
(i) Name any three common minerals used by you every day.
Answer:- Three common minerals used by us in day-to-day life are salt, petroleum, iron.
(ii) What is an ore? Where are the ores of metallic minerals generally located?
Answer:- The rocks which are mined to extract minerals from them are known as ores. The ores of metallic minerals are located in igneous and metamorphic rock.
(iii) Name two regions rich in natural gas resources.
Answer:- Russia and the Netherlands are the major producers of natural gas. In India Jaisalmer, Krishna Godavari delta, have natural gas resources.
(iv) Which sources of energy would you suggest for
(a) rural areas (b) coastal areas (c) Arid regions.
- For rural areas:- solar energy, bio-gas, firewood and wind energy.
- For coastal areas, wind energy, petroleum and tidal energy.
- For arid regions, wind energy, geothermal powers and solar energy.
(v) Give five ways in which you can save energy at home.
- Switching off the electronic appliances when they are not in use.
- By Closing the tap properly.
- By using pressure cooker instead of other utensil for cooking.
- By using bicycles or walking for short distance.
- By drying clothes in sunlight instead of electric dryers