Definition| Meaning of Noun :- A noun is the name of a person, place, thing, or idea.
Examples of Noun:-
- Deepika, Pooja, Teacher, Doctor, Radha.
- Delhi, Mumbai, America, home, office, town, countryside.
- Chair, table, apple, car, banana, money, music, dog, monkey
- Naming Feeling/Qualities/Ideas:-
- Joy, Fear, Beauty, Strength, Anger, etc….
Few Example in Sentences
- Shiv is my best friend.
- I live in Delhi.
- Where are my Pants?
- Cattle are grazing in the field.
- He Admires her beauty.
Types / Kinds of Nouns
There are Mainly Thirteen types of Nouns:-
- Proper Noun
- Common Noun
- Collective Noun
- Material Noun
- Abstract Noun
- concrete Noun
- Singular Noun
- Plural Noun
- Masculine Noun
- Feminine Noun
- Compound Noun
- Countable Noun
- Uncountable Noun
- Proper noun is the name of particular person, place or things, e.g. Deepika, Shiv, Delhi,America, Starbucks, Mcdonald, Red, Monday, January etc…
- Ram is my friend.
- I live in Switzerland.
- Friday is my favourite day of the week.
- I born in August.
- Diwali is my favourite festival.
- River Ganga is sacred.
- I have seen Taj Mahal.
- Common Noun is the name given in common to every person or things of the same class or kind, e.g. Boy, Girl, City, Vilage, Country, Fruits, Cutleries etc….
- According to the girls, the nearest town is very far.
- My Bag is full with fruits & vegetables.
- Sapna is going to the nearest place.
- Girls of his class are very studious.
- Jaipur is called pink city.
- A Collective Noun is the name of a number (or collection) of persons or things taken together and spoken of as a whole, e.g. Team, committee, Army, Jury etc….
- The flock of geese (kind of bird) spends most of its time in the pasture.
- My uncle bought me a pair of sports shoes.
- At the corner of playground, I observe a gang of robbers..
- A pile of clothes was kept at the corner of almirah.
- Material Noun are names of substances or materials out of which things are made, e.g. gold, iron, silver, wood etc…
- Dresses of cotton are very cheap and comfortable.
- My dad purchased a gold ring for my mom.
- My brother deals in diamonds.
- There are many utensils in my kitchen made up of iron and copper.
- In the ancient time, most of the kitchen utensils were made up of brass and zinc.
- An abstract noun is a noun that refers to an intangible concept such as an actions, emotion, a feeling, concepts, a quality, or an idea. Or in other words, an abstract noun does not refer to any physical object.
- Kindness is something almost everyone appreciates.
- It is my pleasure to welcome you.
- Our Friendship is the source of my greatest joy.
- Beauty is in the eye of beholder.
- Anger is the enemy of man.
- Concrete noun is the noun that can be perceived through one of the five senses. In other words, something that can be seen, touched, hear, or smell, e.g. chair, table, house, animal, human etc….
- The cat is under the table.
- I have a flat in this building.
- Trees are important for all of us.
- Taste of this coffee is incredible.
- It denotes one place, person, thing or animals, e.g. Boy, girl, table, chair etc….
a boy, a girl, a chair, a table, an apple, a tree, a hospital, an egg etc….
- Plural noun denotes more than one places, persons or things, e.g. cities, boys,girls, tables, chairs, buildings, etc…
Boys, girls, chairs, tables, apples, trees, hospitals, eggs, buses, quizes, boxes, etc….
- Masculine Noun denotes male sex, e.g. Boy, Man, Male animals etc….
Brother, prince, sun, violence, power, thunder, time, man, king, boy, cock, lion, father etc….
- Feminine anaoun denotes female sex, e.g. Girl, Woman, Female Animals etc…
Sister, princess, tigress, woman, lioness, mother, sister, peace, nature, earth, goddess, etc…
- Compound Nouns are formed by joining two Nouns together, e.g. Notebook, Firefly, keyboard etc….
Airplane, Airport, Beachball, Blackhole, Blueberry, Bodyguard, Bookstore, Candlestick, Daydream, Deadend, Doghouse, Dragonfly, Dropdown, Earlobe, Earthquake, Eyeballs, Father-in-law, Firecracker, Firefighter, Fisherman, Football, Forget, Forgive, French fries, Goodnight, Grandchild, Hairband, Honeydew, Hopscotch, Hotdog, Ice cream, Laptop, Lifetime, Lighthouse, Mailman, Midnight, Milkshake, Moonwalk, Mother-in-law, Newborn, Newspaper, Paycheck, Policeman, Ponytail, Rainbow, Raincoat, Raindrop, Spaceship, Sunglasses, Superman, Superstar, Teammate, Teaspoon, Tupperware, Watermelon, Wheelchair.
- Countable Nouns are those nouns that can easily be counted, e.g. Stars, seconds, rupees etc….
- Things :– book, table, computer, banana, shirt, television, pen, house, etc..
- Places:- village, city, country, hospitals, schools, park, etc..
- Persons: – man, woman, child, friend, brother, sister, uncle, teacher, boss, etc…
- Uncountable Nouns are the nouns that we can’t count, or can’t divide into separate parts, e.g. love, fun, information, news, furniture, equipment, water, etc…