NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Science Chapter 9 The Living Organisms Characteristics and Habitats
Question 1. What is a habitat?
Answer:- The surroundings where plants and animals live, is called their habitat.
Question 2. How are cactus adapted to survive in a desert?
Answer:- Cactus adapted following feathers to survive in a desert:-
- (i) Its spiny leaves prevent water loss through transpiration.
- (ii) Its modified leaves performs photosynthesis and conserves water.
- (iii) Its has deeply rooted roots that absorb water from deep inside.
Question 3. Fill up the blanks
(a) The presence of specific features, which enable a plant or an animal to live in a particular habitat, is called _________________ .
(b) The habitats of the plants and animals that live on land are called _________________ habitat.
(c) The habitats of plants and animals that live in water are called _________________ habitat.
(d) Soil, water and air are the _________________ factors of a habitat.
(e) Changes in our surroundings that make us respond to them, are called _________________ .
- (a) The presence of specific features, which enable a plant or an animal to live in a particular habitat, is called adaptation.
- (b) The habitats of the plants and animals that live on land are called terrestrial habitat.
- (c) The habitats of plants and animals that live in water are called aquatic habitat.
- (d) Soil, water and air are the abiotic factors of a habitat.
- (e) Changes in our surroundings that make us respond to them, are called stimuli.
Question 4. Which of the things in the following list are nonliving?
Plough, Mushroom, Sewing machine, Radio, Boat, Water hyacinth, Earthworm.
Answer:- Plough, Sewing machine, Radio and Boat among them are nonliving things.
Question 5. Give an example of a non-living thing, which shows any two characteristics of living things.
Answer:- A car is a non living thing but it moves and need energy to do work like living things.
Question 6. Which of the non-living things listed below, were once part of a living thing?
Butter, Leather, Soil, Wool, Electric bulb, Cooking oil, Salt, Apple, Rubber.
Answer:- Butter, leather, wool, cooking oil, apple, and rubber were once part of a living thing.
Question 7. List the common characteristics of the living things.
Answer:- Most common characteristics of living things are as follows
- i) They respire
- ii) They take food intake
- iii) They respond to stimuli
- iv) They excrete
- v) They do movement
- vi) They Reproduce
- vii) They grow and die
Question 8. Explain, why speed is important for survival in the grasslands for animals that live there. (Hint: There are few trees or places for animals to hide in grasslands habitats.)
Answer:- To avoid predation from their predators speed is important for survival in the grasslands for animals that live there. For example : if a tiger attack on deer in order to survive deer has to run fast than tiger to reach the safer place.
Click on the Chapter’s Link to get PDF of all Chapters of NCERT of Science Class 6
Get NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Science Here
- Chapter 1 Food: Where Does it Come From?
- Chapter 2 Components of Food
- Chapter 3 Fibre to Fabric
- Chapter 4 Sorting Materials into Groups
- Chapter 5 Separation of Substances
- Chapter 6 Changes Around Us
- Chapter 7 Getting to Know Plants
- Chapter 8 Body Movements
- Chapter 9 The Living Organisms Characteristics and Habitats
- Chapter 10 Motion and Measurements of Distances
- Chapter 11 Light, Shadows and Reflections
- Chapter 12 Electricity and Circuits
- Chapter 13 Fun with Magnets
- Chapter 14 Water
- Chapter 15 Air Around Us
- Chapter 16 Garbage in, Garbage out