What is National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme ?
The ‘National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme’ (NMMSS) is a scholarship Scheme sponsored by central Govt. The Ministry of Human Resource Development launched this scheme in May 2008, for providing scholarships for meritorious students of classes IX to XII. The scheme is boarded on the NSP (National Scholarship Portal). Its objective is to award scholarships to meritorious students of economically weaker sections to arrest their drop out at class VIII and encourage them to continue their study and complete secondary stage of their education.
What is the Scholarship Amount ?
A total of one Lakh scholarships will be disbursed under this scheme. The selected scholars will receive Rs. 12000 per annum (i.e Rs. 1000 per month). The rate of scholarship has been enhanced/increased from Rs. 6000/- to Rs. 12000/- per annum w.e.f 1st April, 2017.
Who can apply for National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme?
- The Applicant must be a student of class 9th.
- Must have secured at least 55% of marks or equivalent grade in class 8 examination ( relaxable by 5% for SC & ST category students).
- Must have secured at least 55% of marks or equivalent grade in class 7 examination to appear for the selection test for the award of scholarship (relaxable by 5% for SC & ST category students).
- Must have an annual family income of less than Rs. 1.50 Lakhs from all sources.
- The applicant should be studying as a regular student in Government, Government-aided, and local body schools.
- Students of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti, Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan, and residential schools are not entitled to the scholarships.
What are the selection criteria of NMMSS?
The students will be selected on the basis of the selection test conducted by their state/UT namely-
Mental Ability Test (MAT)
Through MAT they examine the reasoning ability and critical thinking of an applicant.
It may consist of 90 multiple-choice questions based on analogy, classification, numerical series, pattern, perception, hidden figure etc.
Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)
Through SAT they examine the subject knowledge of an applicant.
It may consist of 90 multiple-choice questions covering subjects like – science, social studies and mathematics as taught in classes 7th and 8th.
The students are required to pass both the tests with at least 40% marks in each (For reserved category, concession of 8% is available).
Selection of Renewal Awardee Students.
The applicant should get minimum of 55% marks in Class 9th and 11th, and a minimum of 60% in Class 10th for continuance of scholarship (relaxable by 5% for SC & ST category candidates).
Application process for NMMSS
Eligible students can apply for the scholarship by following steps –
1. Visit the homepage of the National Scholarship Portal (https://scholarships.gov.in/) and click on ‘New Registration’.
2. Read the guidelines carefully, select the undertakings and click ‘Continue’.
3. Fill the form carefully.
4. Provide the bank details (Bank name, IFSC Code, Account Number).
5. Select Aadhaar card or Bank Account Number as identification detail and click on the ‘Register’ button.
6. The mobile number will be verified by an OTP.
7. Now, log in by using OTP and fill the form.
8. An application ID and password will be given to you.
9. Use that for future reference.
Please Note: All the students are advised to fill the form correctly, no changes can be after made once submitted. It is also advised to fill only one application as multiple applications will lead to the cancellation of the form.
How Disbursement of Scholarships take place ?
First an applicant has to register themselves for NMMSS and has to qualify MAT and SAT exam.
Their applications are then verified online on the portal by the prescribed State authorities.
The final list of eligible applicants, complete in all respect, is provided to the Ministry of Human Resource Development by National Scholarship Portal Team for sanction of the scholarship.