NCERT Solutions for Class 9 Geography Chapter 1 India size and location
Question 1. Choose the right answer from the four alternatives given below.
(i) The Tropic of Cancer does not pass through
(a) Rajasthan (c) Chhattisgarh
(b) Odisha (d) Tripura
(ii) The easternmost longitude of India is
(a) 97° 25′ E (c) 77° 6′ E
(b) 68° 7′ E (d) 82° 32′ E
(iii) Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal and Sikkim have common frontiers with
(a) China (c) Nepal
(b) Bhutan (d) Myanmar
(iv) If you intend to visit Kavarati during your summer vacations, which one of the following Union Territories of India you will be going to
(a) Puducherry (c) Andaman and Nicobar
(b) Lakshadweep (d) Daman and Diu
(v) My friend hails from a country which does not share land boundary with India. Identify the country.
(a) Bhutan (c) Bangladesh
(b) Tajikistan (d) Nepal
- (b) Odisha.
- (a) 97° 25′ E.
- (c) Nepal.
- (b) Lakshadweep.
- (b) Tajikistan.
Question 2 Answer the following questions briefly.
- (i) Name the group of islands lying in the Arabian Sea.
- (ii) Name the countries which are larger than India.
- (iii) Which island group of India lies to its south-east?
- (iv) Which island countries are our southern neighbours?
- Lakshadweep islands are the group of islands lying in the Arabian Sea.
- Russia, Canada, USA, China, Brazil, and Australia are larger than India.
- Andaman and Nicobar islands are island group of India lies to its south-east.
- Srilanka and Maldives are island countries are our southern neighbours.
Question 3 The sun rises two hours earlier in Arunachal Pradesh as compared to Gujarat in the west but the watches show the same time. How does this happen?
Answer :- From Gujarat to Arunachal Pradesh, there is a time lag of two hours, the watches show the same time because the Standard Meridian of India (82°30’E) passing through Mirzapur in Uttar Pradesh is taken as the standard time for the whole country.
Question 4 The central location of India at the head of the Indian Ocean is considered of great significance. Why?
Answer :- The central location of India at the head of the Indian Ocean is considered of great significance because of the following reason:-
- The trans Indian Ocean routes, which connect the countries of Europe in the West and the countries of East Asia, provide a strategic central location to India.
- The Deccan Peninsula protrudes into the Indian Ocean, thus helping India to establish close contact with West Asia, Africa and Europe from the western coast and with Southeast and East Asia from the eastern coast.
- There is no other country like India in the world, which has a long coastline on the Indian Ocean.