NCERT Solution for class 5 English Marigold Unit 1 Chapter 2 Wonderful Waste
Reading is fun
Question:- 1 What were the preparations in the palace for?
Answer:-The preparation in the palace is for the Grand feast.
Question:- 2 Why did the Maharaja go into the kitchen in the afternoon ?
Answer:-The Maharaja go into the kitchen in the afternoon for serving the dishes.
Question:- 3 What had the cook planned to do with the vegetable scraps?
Answer:- The cook planned to throw away the vegetable scraps.
Question:- 4 Ingredients are the things that are used to make a dish.
Circle the ingredients of avail in the box below.
Question:- 5 State whether the following are true or false.
- The king had ordered a dinner in the palace……………..
- No one had heard of or tasted avail before………………..
- The cook had planned to make another dish using the vegetable scraps………….
A recipe is a list of direction to prepare a dish. The following sentences are not in order for preparing avail. Number them in the correct order.
- Grind some coconut, green chillies, and garlic.
- Cut the vegetable scraps into long strips.
- Wash and clean the mix of vegetable bits.
- Decorate with curry leaves.
- With some curd and mix it in.
- Pour some coconut oil on top.
- Avail is ready.
- (3) Grind some coconut, green chillies and garlic.
- (2) Cut the vegetables scraps into long strips.
- (1) Wash and clean the mix of vegetable bits.
- (6) Decorate with curry leaves.
- (4) Whip some curd and mix it in.
- (5) Pour some coconut oil on top.
- (7) Avail is ready.
2. Given in the box are some things that children do after they reach home from school. Choose five things that you do when you reach home from school. Write them in order.
pack school bag
put away school bag have lunch
read a story book
chat with mummy about school
sleep for a while
do the homework
go to play
change out of school uniform
- First, I put away school bag.
- Then, I change out of school uniform.
- Next, I wash up.
- After that, I have lunch.
- Finally, I sleep for a while.
The Maharaja was a wise man and ordered the cook to use the vegetable scraps instead of throwing them away.
(a) Name some of the things which are thrown away at home or in school.
Answer:- Vegetable peels, left over food, scraps of plastic products, cardboard boxes, used up pens and papers, leaves and twigs etc. are thrown away at home or in school.
(b) Sit in group of four and think of interesting ways in which they can be made useful?
Answer:- We can make decorative articles with them, newspapers can be used to make book covers and compost with them.
Some words have more than one meaning.
For example, point –
- noun- a dot in print or writing, full stop, decimal, the number you score in a game.
- verb- to show or call attention to something.
Look up the following words in the dictionary. They may have more than one meaning. List these meanings.
- Make new words by adding/dropping a few letters from the root word. Some are done for you.
Do any of these words use all of four ending?________ ________
Do any of these words use all of four ending? Tasty Clean
Watch Videos for Better Understanding
Question 1:- Name food that is made in your home
(i) for a feast/ festival.
(ii) when you are unwell.
Share the information with your friends.
Answer:- (i) Sweet dishes, kheer, several vegetables, dahi-bara ,dosa and sambhar etc.
(ii) Khichri and Daliya
(iii) Pulses, rice, chapatis, vegetables, curd and salad.
Question 2: Avial is a dish made in Kerala.
Do you have a similar dish in your state made from a mix of many vegetables?
- What is it called? _______________
- Note down the ingredients used to make it.
- Write down the recipe.
- Present attractively and display on the class board. You can draw and stick pictures too.
- It is called Mix Veg.
- We need cabbage, potatoes, cauliflower and brinjal and all other vegetables to make it.
- First of all, we add oil in a pan and cumin seeds. After that we give nice tadka with onion, ginger, garlic and some common spices. Then, put all the vegetables in a pan. Pour a little amount of water and keep stirring it for ten to fifteen minutes. Then add salt according to your taste. Mix veg is ready.