NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English Honeysuckle Poem 8 Whatif
WORKING WITH THE POEM
Question:- 1. (i) Who is the speaker in the poem?
Answer:- The speaker in the poem is the poet “Shel Silverstein”.
(ii) With your partner list out the happenings the speaker is worried about.
Answer:- The speaker is worried about the following things:-
- What if he is dumb in the school?
- What if the swimming pool is closed?
- What if he gets beaten up?
- What if there is poison in his cup?
- Whatif he starts to cry?
- What if bolt of lightning strikes him?
- What if he gets sick and dies?
- Whatif he fails the test?
- What if he doesn’t grow taller?
- Whatif his head starts getting smaller?
- Whatif a war start?
- What if his parents get divorced?
- What if his teeth don’t grow straight?
- Whatif he tears my pants?
- What if he never learns to dance?
(iii) Why do you think she/he has these worries? Can you think of ways to get rid of such worries?
Answer:- She is concerned about these issues since she thinks a lot. The majority of these concerns come from unreasonable fear. With a strong willpower and a good attitude toward life, one may overcome such concerns.
Question:- 2. Read the following line.
Some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
Can words crawl into your ear? This is an image. The poet is trying to make an image of what she/he experiences. Now with your partner try and list out some more images from the poem.
Answer: Some of more such images from the poem are following:-
- “And pranced and partied all night long
- And sang their same old Whatif song:”
- What if the wind tears up my kite?
- What if green hair grows on my chest?
- “Everything seems swell, and then
- The night-time Whatif strikes again!”
Question:- 3. In groups of four discuss some more ‘whatifs’ that you experience in your day to day life and list them out.
And now write a poem of five or six lines with the ‘whatifs’ that you have listed.
Answer:- Do it yourself