NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English Honeysuckle Poem 3 The Quarrel
WORKING WITH THE POEM PAGE 40
Question 1. With your partner try to guess the meaning of the underlined phrases.
- (i) And somehow we fell out.
- (ii) The afternoon turned black.
- (i) Fell out – quarrelled
- (ii) Turned black – was spoiled due to very bad mood
Question 2. Read these lines from the poem:
- (i) One thing led to another
- (ii) The start of it was slight
- (iii) The end of it was strong
- (iv) The afternoon turned black
- (v) Thumped me on the back
Discuss with your partner what these lines mean.
- (i) The fight continued, as one disagreement followed another.
- (ii) The cause behind the quarrel was a very petty and small.
- (iii) The quarrel ended on a very bitter note which had a long lasting effect.
- (iv) The quarrel spoiled their mood and the afternoon became intolerably sad.
- (v) Patted on the back in a very friendly manner.
Question 3. Describe a recent quarrel that you have had with your brother, sister or friend. How did it start? What did you quarrel about? How did it end?
Answer:- My friend is like my sister and helps me in solving all of my issues. However, we had a fight one day when I told her she needed to complete my homework because I was tired. She instructed me to complete the task on my own. We kept fighting and didn’t speak to one other for the next five days. I informed my teacher about the fight. My mother told me that it was my fault and that I needed to apologise. I addressed my friend and apologised for the situation.