Comprehension Check Page 10
Question 1:- Why did the king want to know answers to three questions?
Answer :- The king wanted to know the answers to three questions because he thought that he would never fail if he knew the answers to the three questions and he will become successful.
Question 2 . Messengers were sent throughout the kingdom
- (i) to fetch wise men.
- (ii) to find answers to the questions.
- (iii) to look for the wise hermit.
- (iv) to announce a reward for those who could answer the questions.
Mark your choice.
Answer :- (ii) to find answers to the questions.
Comprehension Check Page 14
Complete the following sentences by adding the appropriate parts of the sentences given in the box.
- Many wise men answered the king’s questions, ___________________
- Someone suggested that there should be a council of wise men _________________________________________________________
- Someone else suggested that the king should have a timetable _______________________________________________________
- The king requested the hermit ______________________________________
- The king washed and dressed the bearded man’s wound, _______________
- Many wise men answered the king’s questions, but their answers were so varied that the king was not satisfied.
- Someone suggested that there should be a council of wise men to help the king act at the right time.
- Someone else suggested that the king should have a timetable and follow it strictly.
- The king requested the hermit to answer three questions.
- The king washed and dressed the bearded man’s wound, but the bleeding would not stop.
Working with the Text
Answer the following questions.
1.Why was the king advised to go to magicians?
Answer :- The king was advised to go to magicians because Some of the wise men thought that in order to decide the right time to do something, one needs to know the future and that could be done by magicians only.
2. In answer to the second question, whose advice did the people say would be important to the king?
Answer :-The advice of councillors, or doctors and priests, and yet others believed that the soldiers were the most important.
3.What suggestions were made in answer to the third question?
Answer :- In answer to the third question, some wise man said science. Others chose fighting and yet others religious worship.
4.Did the wise men win the reward, if not why not?
Answer :- No, none of the wise men won the reward, because they gave different answers to king’s questions and he was not satisfied with any of them.
5. How did the king and the hermit help the wounded man?
Answer :- With the help of hermit the king removed the wounded man’s clothes, washed his wound and covered it with his handkerchief. He redressed it till the blood stopped flowing. He also offered the wounded man water to drink.
The hermit helped the king to bring the wounded man inside his hut and allowed the man to spend his night in the hut.
6. (i) Who was the bearded man?
Answer :- The bearded man was an enemy of the king.
6.(ii) Why did he ask for the king’s forgiveness?
Answer :- He asked for the king’s forgiveness because he came to kill the king and the king saved his life.
7. The king forgave the bearded man. What did he do to show his forgiveness?
Answer :- To show his forgiveness, the king promised to send his doctor and servants to look after him, He also promised to return his property.
8. What were the hermit’s answers to the three questions? Write each answer separately. Which answer do you like most, and why?
Answer :- The hermit’s answers to the three questions were as follow:
- The right time to do something is “now” because present is the only time when we can act.
- The most important person is “the person you are with at a particular moment”, because we just don’t know what will happen in the future.
- The most important thing to do is “to do good to the person” because we are here on the earth for that purpose alone.
Working with Language
- Match items in List A with their meanings in List B.
fainted: lost consciousness
|wounded||got up from sleep|
|forgive||small patches of ground for plants|
|return||feel sorry for|
Use any three of the above words in sentences of your own. You may change the form of the word.
got up from sleep
feel sorry for
small patches of ground for plants
Question 2. Each of the following sentences has two blanks. Fill in the blanks with appropriate forms of the word given in brackets
The ________ said that only fresh evidence would make him change his ________.(judge)
I didn’t notice any serious ________ of opinion among the debaters, although they _______ from one another over small points. (differ)
It’s a fairly simple question to _______,but will you accept my ________ as final? (answer)
It isn’t _______ that ________ should always be the mother of invention. (necessary)
Hermits are ________ men. How they acquire their ________ no one can tell. (wise)
The committee has _________ to make Jagdish captain of the team. The _________ is likely to please everyone. (decide)
Asking for ________ is as noble as willingness to ________. (forgive)
- The judge said that only fresh evidence would make him change his judgement. (judge)
- I didn’t notice any serious difference of opinion among the debaters, although they differed from one another over small points. (differ)
- It’s a fairly simple question to answer, but will you accept my answer as final? (answer)
- It isn’t necessary that necessity should always be the mother of invention. (necessary)
- Hermits are wise men. How they acquire their wisdom no one can tell. (wise)
- The committee has decided to make Jagdish captain of the team. The decision is likely to please everyone. (decide)
- Asking for forgiveness is as noble as willingness to forgive. (forgive)