Ncert Solution for Class 6 English Honey Suckle Chapter 2 How the Dog Found Himself a Master
Working with the Text
Discuss these questions in pairs before you write the answers.
Question 1. Why did the dog feel the need for a master? (1, 2)
Answer :- The dog was sick and tired of going about alone in search of food. With that he was afraid of stronger beasts and did not feel safe. So he decided to have a master.
Question 2. Who did he first choose as his master? Why did he leave that master? (3)
Answer :- The dog first chose a wolf as his master. But as he found the wolf afraid of the bear. He left the company of the wolf because he was not the strongest of all.
Question 3. Who did he choose next? (3)
Answer :- Next, the dog chose a bear as his master, because he was stronger than the Wolf.
Question 4. Why did he serve the Lion for a long time? (4)
Answer :- The dog served the Lion for a long time because he was the strongest beast of the forest and he had no complaint against him. Secondly, he felt safe and secure with him. No other wild animal dared to displease dog there.
Question 5. Who did he finally choose as his master and why? (9, 10)
Answer :- The dog finally chose a man as his master. Because even the lion was afraid of man. So the dog was convinced that the man was the strongest creature on earth.
B. A summary of the story is given below. Fill in the blanks to complete it taking appropriate phrases from the box.
This is the story of —–––––—————————–, who used to be ——————————————. He decided to find a master —–––––––———————. First he found ————————————, but the wolf was afraid of –––————––——————— . The dog thought that the bear was ————————————— . After some time the dog met ————————————— , who seemed the strongest. He stayed with the lion for a long time. One day he realised that the lion was ———————––—————— . To this day, the dog remains man’s best friend.
Answer:- This is the story of a dog, who used to be his own master. He decided to find a master, stronger than anyone else. First, he found a wolf but the wolf was afraid of the bear. The dog thought that the bear was the strongest of all. After some time the dog met a lion, who seemed the strongest. He stayed with the lion for a long time. One day he realised that the lion was afraid of man. To this day, the dog remains man’s best friend.
WORKING WITH LANGUAGE
Each word in the box given below indicates a large number of… For example,‘a herd of cows’ refers to many cows. Complete each of the following phrases with a suitable word from the box.
1. a —————––—— of ships 5. a ———––———— of sticks
2. a ——————––— of flowers 6. a ——––————— of sheep
3. a ——————––— of chicks 7. a —––—————— of fish
4. a ———————–– of cattle 8. a ––——————— of wolves
- a fleet of ships 5. a bundle of sticks
- a bunch of flowers 6. a flock of sheep
- a brood of chicks 7. a school of fish
- a herd of cattle 8. a pack of wolves
B. Make nouns from the words given below by adding –ness or –ity. (For some words we need to add just –ty, or –y.)
1.honest ————— 7.creative —————
2.kind —————— 8.sincere ————–
3.cruel ————— 9.cheerful ————–
4.calm ————— 10.bitter ——————
5.sad ——————- 11.sensitive—————
6.active —————- 12.great ——————-
- honest -Honesty 7. creative -creativity
- kind -kindness 8. sincere -sincerity
- Cruel- cruelty 9. cheerful -cheerfulness
- Calm- calmness 10. bitter-bitterness
- Sad- sadness 11. sensitive-sensitivity
- active -activeness 12. great-greatness
- There are twelve words hidden in this table.
- Six can be found horizontally and the remaining six vertically.
- All of them are describing words like ‘good’, ‘happy’, etc.
- The first letters of the words are given below:
- Horizontal: H R F F S G
- Vertical: A W S F L Q
1. Hasty 2.ready
3. Fierce 4.Frightened
D. Read the following passage and do the exercises that follow. Then complete the family tree of dogs given on the facing page.
The Dog Family
The dog family is one of the 11 families that make up the Carnivores, a large group of intelligent, flesh-eating, backboned animals. In this group are such varied animals as bears, pandas, raccoons, cats, hyenas, and even seal. The dog or canine family has many wild species like wolves, foxes, coyotes, jackals, and wild dogs. The dog is the only domesticated member of the canine family though now and then someone tames a wolf, fox or coyote as a pet. All members of the dog family are descendants of a wolf-like animal which lived about 15 million years ago. From this distant ancestor, the true dogs gradually developed. But nobody knows the exact ancestor of the modern domestic dog. Several wild dogs look and behave like domestic dogs. The dingo or wild dog of Australia is one of these. It is possible that the dingo was a tamed dog brought to Australia long ago which then ran wild. Dogs were the first animals tamed by humans— perhaps 20,000 years ago. Tamed dogs were brought from Asia to the New World 5,000 or more years ago. Dogs were first used for hunting.
1. Find the opposites of these words in the text above.
- (i)ancestor — — — — — — — — — —
- (ii)wild t — m —
- (iii)ancient — — — — — —
- (iv)near d — — — — — t
- (v)suddenly gr — — — — — — —
- (i) descendant
- (ii) tame
- (iii) modem
- (iv) distant
- (v) gradually.
2.Complete the following sentences.
- (i)The dingo is ———————————————————–—————.
- (ii)Dogs were the ———————————————————animals tamed by humans. The other animals tamed by humans are ——————————————————————————————(Think and name some other such animals.)
- (iii)The New World refers to ———————————–––—————.Dogs were brought there from —————————–————— .
(i)The dingo is a wild dog.
(ii) Dogs were the first animals tamed by humans. The other animals tamed by humans are horses, elephants, cows, donkeys, buffaloes.
(iii) The New World refers to America. Dogs were brought there from Asia.
Read the chapter with us on our Youtube channel. Don’t forget to Like Subscribe and share our Videos. Turn On the Notification bell so that you get notified each time, when we upload content related to your syllabus and class.